Pages

02 April 2011

The Goal

The health care industry accounts for about 1/7th of the economy in the United States, and although that seems like a huge proportion, it actually makes sense me, because good health of our citizens is required before we are able to spend time on technological and cultural advancements. You may even argue that the idea of treating health conditions was a natural evolution for the human race.

With those technological advancements came the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, which are of particular interest to me since my current career path has led me to a position within "big pharma".  However, I am at once amazed and confused:
  • I have always loved science, and the innovation that takes place in research AND manufacturing is just, in a word, cool. Plus, the fact that drugs and vaccines have the ability to save lives makes the work that much more important. 
  • But then I think, "wait, is this really necessary?" Questions enter my head such as: 
    • Why are we ingesting chemicals that our bodies aren't adapted to metabolize?
    • Why are preventable diseases killing more and more people each year?
    • How did the history of the industry play a role in the evolution of modern healthcare?
This first post is an attempt to actually identify the goal of this blog, and when trying to put a goal into words, the verb choice is important. So, the mission here is to explore the pharmaceutical industry's role within our society. In general, a collection of different facts, opinions, stories, histories and viewpoints.  Where that goes, what I glean from it...we shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I think this could be interesting. Alot of effort for you if you want to maintain interest. Also a tight rope to walk on but probably worth it. Good therapy if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete